Close up photo of Egypt's second largest sphinx. It was discovered by Flinders Petrie in 1912, not far from where it stands today, at Memphis, today's Mit Rahina, south of Cairo.
It is over 4 meters high and around 8 meters long. Time was not kind to this monument. It was found laying on its left side, so its right side is quite eroded and the base took damage too, so no inscriptions give us clues who it actually represents.
The facial features are closest to Queen Hatshepsut, so she is the favourite candidate, but her stepson King Thutmose III's name came up too.
This photo shows the monument as it originally laid on its side when discovered.
© of the Petrie Museum of Egyptian Archaeology.